Policies and documents
Our safeguarding charter and policy.
Safeguarding is everyone's business.
York St John University is committed to providing a safe environment for children and young people under 18, and adults at risk who may be present on campus or engaged in university activities for a variety of reasons.
The welfare of children, young persons and adults at risk is paramount.
All staff should:
- Read and understand the safeguarding policy
- Undertake safeguarding training appropriate to their role
- Take appropriate steps if they have safeguarding concerns.
The university will:
- Take steps to prevent safeguarding risks
- Have in place appropriate procedures to deal with safeguarding issues
- Provide information about how people can raise concerns
- Keep records secure
- Share information with safeguarding partners in line with the law
- Keep the policy and procedures under review.
The University Secretary is the university Safeguarding Officer and has lead responsibility for safeguarding.
A member of the University Secretary’s Office is the Deputy Safeguarding Officer and assists the university Safeguarding Officer in carrying out their responsibilities.
Each School and specified services and projects have a local safeguarding officer. They provide first line support and advice on safeguarding issues.