Browser does not support script.

Your home

Council Tax Exemption

Full-time Students

If you are a full-time student undertaking a full-time programme of study you are exempt from Council Tax. This includes vacation periods.

Exception: If you are either the home owner or your name is on the tenancy agreement for the home and you live with one or more non-students, such as a partner or a child who is not in full-time education, you are liable for Council Tax but may be eligible for Council Tax Benefit.

Full-time Students Living In York

Full-time students living in York can benefit from York Council’s online Council Tax Exemption service. York St John University, as well as the University of York and York College, have been working with York Council to make registering for discounts and exemptions from Council Tax easier. You can apply for a discount or exemption online. There is no need to supply student certificates. If you live in a student property with students who study at places other than the three participating institutions you will need to complete and send a single form (see link below), but students from York St John University, the University of York and York College will not have to provide proof of student status.

If you move accommodation you will need to re-apply at your new address.

To apply online go to York Council's Council tax webpage and follow the link for Student Discounts and Exemptions.

Full-time Students Not Living In York

Full-time students living outside the York Council area can apply for Council Tax exemption to their Council, but will need to provide them with a York St John Council Tax Exemption certificate. These are available from your e:Vision homepage. 

Full-time Students Who Have Interrupted Their Study

If you have interrupted your study because:

  • you are ill;
  • you are caring for someone who is ill;
  • you are still registered on your full-time course in order to retake modules/assessments which you have failed

you do not have to pay Council Tax. If you live in York you can use the online Council Tax Exemption service. If not, you can request a York St John Council Tax Exemption certificate, as above.

Exception: If these situations last for more than a year, you will become liable for Council Tax.

Cookie Settings