Student policies and documents
On this page, find out how to register your attendance. If you need to report an absence, follow the link below.
Attending your timetabled classes is key in helping you to be successful in your studies.
Having accurate attendance information lets us take a proactive approach to early interventions. Tutors can then offer the appropriate support and guidance when needed.
We have a responsibility to public authorities who finance programmes of study. This includes making sure that you attend the courses you are registered to. We also have a responsibility to the Home Office to monitor the attendance of international students whose presence in the UK depends on a visa for the purposes of higher education.
Register your attendance
To capture attendance data, we use a system called Check-In. This cloud-based system lets us report on and monitor attendance at scheduled sessions.
Whenever you go to a timetabled session, you will be provided with a self-registration code by your Module Tutor. Use this to confirm your attendance at the session, whether it is online or face to face. To do this, go to the Check-In tile on the MyYSJ App on your smartphone or device. Your attendance is then logged on Check-in. Your Academic Tutors will receive notifications whenever your attendance becomes a concern.
If you do not have access to the app, now is a good time to download it. Please note that sessions will only appear just before they are due to take place.
If you know you are going to have to miss a scheduled session in your timetable, or are unexpectedly unwell, please let a member of staff know by filling out our online absence form on the Report an absence page. This will notify your lecturer that you won’t be attending. Please note this is for notification purposes only and will still count as an absence on your record.
If you arrive late for the session, and the code is no longer available, inform the tutor of your arrival. They will then mark you on the register and this will appear as a late attendance.
If you have recently changed module you will need to wait 24 hours after the module change has been processed before you appear on the register. Notify the tutor so they can manually add you to the register.
Further expectations on attendance responsibilities are set out within the Attendance Policy:
Report an absence
If you are unable to attend one of your classes, let us know by using our report an absence form.
Support for you
We are here to support you if you have any difficulties engaging with your studies or attending classes.
York St John University staff are friendly and knowledgeable and we are here to help.
- Contact your Academic Tutor to arrange a 1 to 1 meeting or phone call if you would like their support.
- Visit our Students page for Study Development tutorials, Counselling, Mental Health support, Disability Advice, Student Funding Advice, Welfare Advice and a range of Student Success Programmes.
- If you are ill or have a health issue, remember there is a dedicated Student Health Centre on campus where you can see a GP or a nurse. Telephone: 01904 439 101.
- Support is also available for you in the Library, and we provide Study Skills software for you to use.
If you prefer, we also offer a variety of support for you online:
- Take a look at the The Service Desk's knowledgebase for online resource support.
- Learn how to manage your money on Blackbullion.
- Sign up to Togetherall and join a peer support community for people experiencing emotional or psychological distress. You just need to sign up using your York St John email address.