Browser does not support script.


Support for our diverse community

The Specialist Support team offers dedicated advice and guidance to all our student communities.

A group of students walking on campus

We recognise that some students benefit from specialist support during their studies to ensure they get the most out of their University experience.

We want you to know that you are not on your own and we provide 1 to 1 support for a range of different circumstances. We can arrange regular meetings to discuss your individual situation and signpost you to relevant services.

Meet with one of our dedicated advisers using the booking link below.

Book a meeting with a dedicated adviser

As well as 1 to 1 support, the Specialist Support team also run events and awareness raising campaigns throughout the year. There are also a number of funding support options available to all students such as the Student Support Fund and Alumni-funded Scholarships

You can contact the team at for more advice or information.

Specialist support

Find out more about some of the specialist support on offer.

Asylum seeking students may be eligible to apply for our Sanctuary Scholarship. Our Sanctuary Scholars are awarded a full fee waiver plus a small bursary each year to help towards the cost of travel and study costs.

Contact: Anna Deacon

York St John is working towards our goal of becoming an anti-racist university.

We have a team of Race Equality Student Ambassadors on campus. Their aim is to create a welcoming and inclusive community for all students. Read their page to find out abut upcoming activities and opportunities to get involved.

Our dedicated adviser offers 1 to 1 advice and support to Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic students. We take incidences of racism very seriously and can help you to report and follow up on any concerns, whether or not you wish to make a formal complaint.

Contact: Emma Coward-Gibbs

All care leavers are offered 1 to 1 advice and support throughout your time as a student from a dedicated adviser.

If you were in care within 3 years of starting your course you are eligible for additional financial support such as the YSJ Scholars scholarship.

Care leavers are guaranteed accommodation all year round if you would like it. You will also be prioritised if you apply to return to University accommodation after first year.

Contact: Anna Deacon

Commuting to university can have an impact on your academic studies or wellbeing. Our dedicated contact for students who commute can guide you on how to manage this impact and direct you to the best travel discounts available. 1 to 1 advice and support is available throughout your studies.

We can also help prospective students to explore your options before making the decision to commute to university.

Read our advice for commuting students.

Contact: Emma Coward-Gibbs

York St John has a range of additional support for students who have a disability, long term health condition, mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty.

To contact a Disability Practitioner or find out about other support available, visit Disability support and inclusion.

All estranged students are offered 1 to 1 advice and support throughout your time as a student from a dedicated adviser.

Estranged students will be offered additional financial support through our YSJ Scholars scholarship and the Study Abroad scholarship. We can also help you confirm your estranged status when applying (or re-applying) for student finance.

Estranged students are guaranteed accommodation all year round if you would like it. You will also be prioritised if you apply to return to University accommodation after first year. If you choose to move into private rented accommodation, we are also able to offer you advice around issues such as finding a guarantor or paying a deposit.

Contact: Anna Deacon

The University is extremely proud to have awarded its first scholarship for a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller student in 2019.

We are eager to welcome more students from these communities and are happy to offer support, information and advice to any community member who may be interested in considering higher education, now or in the future.

Contact: Anna Deacon

The University is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all students. We offer a welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ students and are here to offer support, information, and advice to any LGBTQ+ student who may experience difficulties while studying at York St John.

Students can also access support through the Students' Union LGBTQ+ Students’ Officer or join the YSJ LGBTQ+ Society to meet others who are part of the LGBTQ+ community. Postgraduate research students and mature students are invited to join the LGBT+ Staff network.

Contact: Emma Coward-Gibbs

At York St John, our mature learners make up around 1/5 of our student population and we have an outstanding record of supporting these students to achieve academic success.

Our designated contact for mature students can meet with you to discuss your academic studies and personal wellbeing, and signpost you towards any extra support. All new mature students will be invited to attend an induction day in order to get your bearings around campus, chat to teams from across the University and meet other new mature learners.

Contact: Emma Coward-Gibbs

We know that caring for someone, even at a distance, can put extra pressure on you during your studies.

We can help you access additional funding and liaise with academic staff if your caring role is impacting your course. We can also link you to other sources of support such as York Carers Centre and Hope Support Services.

Contact: Anna Deacon

We appreciate that as a student parent you have lots of different responsibilities to juggle during your studies. That's why we have facilities and support available to you during your time with us. As a parent you may also be eligible for additional funding through Student Finance.

We operate an open campus which means children are welcome in our public spaces and catering outlets. However children remain the responsibility of their parent or carer and must be supervised at all times. We have useful facilities on campus including highchairs in the dining area, the Chapel Kitchen toy box, and a changing and feeding room in Holgate.

Read more about our support for student parents.

Contact: Emma Coward-Gibbs

We offer dedicated support for trans, non-binary and other gender-diverse students. The University has a network of named contacts who are able to support trans students with any issues or concerns you may have.

Our dedicated adviser can help with practical issues such as changes to the name used on your student record, ID card and email address, as well as offer general help and advice. They can also connect you with other people in York’s trans community.

Contact: Anna Deacon

Your support team

Anna Deacon

Specialist Support Adviser

Emma Coward-Gibbs

Specialist Support Adviser