Browser does not support script.

Policies and documents

Appeals and complaints


If you wish to appeal an academic decision, please use the forms below. You must submit all medical and other evidence with your appeal form. It is not sufficient to tell us that the evidence is available on request.

A full description of the appeals process can be found in section 45 of our Code of practice for assessment.


York St John University is committed to giving its students the best learning experience it can. It prides itself on being a responsive and supportive organisation and in listening to its students. We recognise that sometimes you may encounter problems. The policy and procedure below explain how to submit a complaint and what will happen. Please use the complaints form provided.


The Vice Chancellor is responsible for the maintenance of student discipline, for the suspension or expulsion of students on disciplinary grounds and for implementing decisions of Academic Board to expel students for academic reasons.

These procedures derive from this responsibility and cover matters related to student discipline.

Information about academic misconduct and related discipline processes can be found in sections 22, 23 and 24 of our Code of practice for assessment. 

You can expect the university to:

  • Offer you the opportunity to express your opinions on course delivery and your experience at York St John
  • Let you know what has been done in response to your feedback
  • Treat any complaint seriously, seek to resolve the problem and respect your confidentiality
  • Ensure that you are not treated unfairly because you have provided feedback or made a complaint
  • Seek to learn from any complaints by reviewing them as part of the University’s quality procedures.

You are expected to:

  • Contribute your views constructively through student evaluation surveys and directly to your faculty
  • Keep your Students’ Union representatives informed of any concerns or suggestions for improvement
  • Approach the service or faculty directly and give them the chance to put things right
  • Try to sort out any complaints informally and directly with the service or school concerned in the first instance
  • Seek the assistance of a student representative or the Students’ Union to help resolve the problem
  • Contact if you cannot resolve the problem directly.

You can expect the Students’ Union to:

  • Represent your views at relevant University committees
  • Give you the opportunity to provide feedback on both the University and the Students’ Union
  • Seek your feedback to enhance the services provided by the Union
  • Offer advice, support and representation if you need to complain about the university
  • Collaborate with the university on an annual review of complaints made.
Cookie Settings