Ask for help and advice from a peer mentor at York St John.
Most new students have questions about starting at university.
It may be that you have questions you would prefer to ask another student rather than a staff member. This is where one of our peer mentors can help.
What is a peer mentor?
A peer mentor is another student with experience of study at York St John University who can:
- Offer practical advice and information
- Point you in the right direction to services that may be available to you
- Help you make the most of your university experience
How to meet with a peer mentor
As a new student, you can meet with a peer mentor at one of our drop-in Quiet Cuppa sessions.
These take place in LaunchPad in the Holgate building. They run throughout Welcome Week and Semester 1.
Quiet Cuppa sessions
- Tuesday 19 September, 12.00pm to 2.00pm (Welcome Week)
- Thursday 21 September, 12.00pm to 2.00pm (Welcome Week)
- Monday 2 October, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Thursday 5 October, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Monday 16 October, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Thursday 19 October, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Thursday 2 November, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Monday 13 November, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Thursday 16 November, 11.00am to 12.00pm
A peer mentor is in a position of trust and is expected to treat your concerns and private matters with sensitivity. All conversations will be treated as confidential. However, if a mentor is concerned for your safety or believes there is a risk to the safety of someone else, they will raise their concerns with an appropriate staff member or the Wellbeing team.
Mentors will signpost you to appropriate services if you have disclosed issues with your mental health, or instances of harassment, physical or sexual assault, discrimination, bullying or abuse.
Other peer mentor and buddy schemes
There are also buddy schemes available from the Student Union and some course areas, such as Occupational Therapy. If you are interested in taking part in one of these, please contact the Student Union or the relevant course area.
Becoming a peer mentor
We aren't currently recruiting new mentors, but we will open applications for new mentors later in the academic year. Look out for our recruitment campaign on the student app and around campus.