Celebrating great student landlordship
Published: 06 November 2014
York celebrated great student landlordship in the city at the first Good Landlord Awards ceremony, coordinated by Higher York as part of City of York Council’s Housing Week, on Tuesday evening.
The awards scheme was set up by the Students’ Unions across York’s universities and colleges to highlight landlords and letting agents who provide an exceptional level of service for their student tenants. Students from the University of York and York St John University had the opportunity to nominate their landlords and letting agents for a range of awards, including Best Value for Money, Most Responsive Landlord, Best Quality Property, Landlord of the Year, Managing Agent of the Year and the Outstanding Service Award.
The Rt Hon The Lord Mayor of York, Cllr. Ian Gillies, and the Lady Mayoress joined the nominated landlords and their student tenants at the event last night at the National Centre for Early Music, when the winners were announced.
The winners were:
- Best Quality Property of the Year: Sinclair Properties
- Best Value for Money of the Year: Ken Marshall
- Most Responsive Landlord of the Year: Nick Jemmett
- Managing Agent of the Year: McCartney Lettings
- Landlord of the Year- Smaller Student Property, sponsored by the York RLA: Liz Yeldon
- Landlord of the Year- Larger Student Property, sponsored by the York RLA: Caroline Heppell
- Outstanding Service Award, sponsored by City of York Council’s YorProperty Landlord Accreditation Service: Liz Yeldon
Claire Newhouse, Higher York Manager, said: "It was fantastic to hear so many positive stories from students about their landlords and agents, such as the agent who went above and beyond to help a student family who were struggling to find accommodation, and the landlord who fixed his student tenant’s broken bike!
"We were delighted to receive such a large number of nominations from students for their landlords and agents, and hope that the event will become annual fixture in the city."
York St John University, Lord Mayors Walk, York, YO31 7EX
01904 876 466
To contact us out of hours, phone 07812 365 499